Friday, September 7, 2018

-The Light-


"Ya know, you really need to loosen up a little sometimes"
"Funny, Tanuki number 5 said something similar"

Reimu didn't even bother to look up while responding to Marisa. It wasn't like she didn't know where she was after all.

"Huh. Bet I said it better"
"I don't know, he actually was annoying enough for me to shut him up."
"Was that before or after ya stuck him up in one of these?"

And the reason why Reimu knew precisely where Marisa was (for the moment) was a rather... thorough seal array. Flight, Magic, spellcards, even limb movements were restricted within the array. Perfect for exterminating nuisances, with only one notable weakness.

"Before. Tanuki numbers 3 and 4 were noisy enough when I caught them, and those damn Tengu were just eating it up."
"Betcha I can make you use up 2 at once"
"Tempting, but no. How long are you going to stay up there anyway?"
"Hey, I can't move here! You've got me good and tied up! I'm at your mercy!"
"Does anyone fall for that line of bull anymore?"
"Nah, but it's still fun to do"

That one notable weakness being that portable barrier seals can be discretely unwound from the inside, if one knew how they were balanced. Of course, another well known weakness was that any anchored barrier seal used within gensokyo was vulnerable to interference from smaller boundary barriers. And despite a lack of proof, the fact that such boundaries often included a blatantly spelled out "Lolnope" in bright indigo letters near the edges was enough of a hint of who was responsible.

"So how'dja know I had these anyways?"
"You broke the wards on the shed. Of course I'd feel that. And those Ofuda were the only things that you'd be able to use anyway."
"Eh, fair enough."
"Tea's ready."

After a moment, Marisa emerged from within the shrine, tucking two slips of paper into her pocket and throwing a third slip towards Reimu, who caught it without looking up. Marisa then sat down on the other side of the tea set.

"So I guess Marisa's Religious Rampage is over then? You're not exactly popular at the moment, you know."
"Is that what they're calling it? I feel like there's a better name for it. Witching Hour? Marisa's Mayhem Masquerade? Black-White Bangtime?"
"... The worst part about that is that there are legitimately people out there who still don't know about you and would get the wrong idea."
"That's what the explosions are for!"

The two morally questionable heroes then lapsed into a comfortable silence. Several bound sheets of paper descended down to the shrine's porch. One sheet of paper ascended in return.

"Huh? What-"
"[Hakurei Sealing Tag: Instant Subjugation]!"
"Huh, nice shot. Shame it wasn't a real Tengu. Dibs."

After scanning the bundle, Marisa handed it to Reimu.

"Didn't even make the front page. Guess the magic's gone."
"Marisa, you're mentioned on 5 pages here"
"So?"
"It's only 8 pages long"
"So?"
"... Fair enough. You went overboard today."
"I'll drink to that. Want some?"
"It's my tea, idiot, of course I'll-"
"..."
"..."
"..."
"... I hate you"

In Marisa's left hand, there was a familiar set of saucers. In her right was a conspicuous bottle. It should be noted that both items had likely been stored in the back of the shrine's storehouse, beyond the traps set at the entrance.

"How and when?"
"Easily, and when I got here"
"... I hate you"
"I know. Drink?"
"Sure"

No comments:

Post a Comment