Thursday, January 10, 2013

End of a notebook


Farewell Orange Notebook in which I’ve written so much
You’d had many holders, know many student’s touch
Even now as you struggle with Winter2013’s three
The end of your contents is here, plain to see

Our record begins in 21/1/09
In Spanish syllabus dates
Yet in a mere second (or simply one line)
We’re entrenched in philosophy debates
This goes back and forth down through this page
Changing subjects around in a snap
Though judging by the gibberish garnishing the end
That was about when I gave in to a nap

Now a question begins to tickly my mind
Why do I believe that date’s true?
The year of ’09 was the first semester
But I took Spanish in Semester II
It seems that somehow I had confused the year
And wrote ’09 instead of ‘10
And somehow that mistake managed to persevere
All throughout January then

The next purpose written was over a sheet
Of data just meant to excel
These notes follow trails of what each cell entails
Though in review, these did not serve me well
That project crashed and burned as that path just turned
Round and round without fruit of labors long
And in the end all of this work was just spurned
Because I realized I had gotten it wrong

And that was just that for first pages seven
That is where that year went
Amidst drawings unplanned and arguments out of hand
Those were all of the pages I spent

The first “strange” page here is one that doesn’t adhere
To the binding of winding wire grey
This page is backwards placed and written on Spanish face.
Are strange words. “Feral Children” they say

Of course now I see that this is Anthropology
Summer class taken lightly in jest
For with little effort at all, I rose to the call
With effort less, it was effortless
The most ironic trait I find in hindsight state
Is that more pages were spent in notes
And I am still amused (and admittedly confused)
At some of the comments we wrote
Very few have context, and no connection to the next
They flicker from pencil to pen
Interlaced in confusion, from drawings to text
“Did this row fuck up the curve” was said then
It appears I got bored, as the text shifted in form
Sometimes spirally, other times in squares
And I guess the comments in back tied back in
As a sign that, really, “nobody cares”

… And then there was Enviro/Micro/bio
Mistake number two of year two
Of the three that I remember, September and November
For that there was nothing to do

From then on these pages are taken at OU
(No love is held for WSG)
From VB to java, from Calc I to II
The contents are straightforward as can be

But still you still hold many secrets untold
Ideas and plans written in ink
The outlines of song, the words of poems strong
A record of all that I think

In five pages that’ll end, and I’ll regretfully send
This notebook to join yellow and diary full
You’ve been the outlet of writing, a record of thought
A most interesting personal tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment