Friday, September 7, 2018

-Reflects Harmony-


"So, the paper basically sums up to 'What the blazing hell, Marisa?' you know."
"They're still going on about that? Must've been a slow news day"

The funniest part of any major incident always seemed to be the immediate aftermath, when every sane person involved (Not always a large number) finally had time to blink and ask "Wait, what?". It was then that people could compare notes, track down an individual to scream "Bullshit!" at, or just clap helplessly at the absurdity of the new status quo. But sometimes, "What?" was all that needed to be said.

"Bullshit!"

... or not.

"Yeah, I know right? I'm not even on a few of these pages."
"You..." with visible effort, Reimu calmed herself. "Never mind. The point is, you really went for it today."
"Yyyyyyyyep." 

Fun fact, Marisa had actually gone through the trouble of making [Smug Sign] spellcards that slowly drew out words that most people found obnoxious. It only took 2 declarations before she abandoned them, declaring the spellcards took all the fun out of it.

"Why?"
"Cuz I felt like it."
"Bullshit."

Ok, sometimes bullshit worked better than expected.

"Really? Cuz I actually did feel like doing it, you know."
"You composed and performed 8 songs that literally sing your praises, just on a whim? No."
"Yyeeeeeessssssss...ssss" Again, no spellcards needed.
"... You know what, no. I'm not playing along. You remember that favor you owe me because of that one time with Flandre? I'm calling it in. Level with me on this. Why?"

Marisa stared into her saucer, all traces of humor gone. After a few seconds, as Reimu was drawing breath to begin yelling, Marisa sighed and tipped back the entire cup, downing the entire cup in one go. The saucer came down, but Marisa's head didn't.

"... You know, sometimes I eavesdrop on some of the people I challenge in the forest."
"Ok, a) that's creepy, b) you mean "assault", c) what the actual h-"
"I'm getting there, alright! So I overheard these youkai recently, talking about me. Or actually, they were talking about 'us'."
"..."
"What I mean is, they were talking about youkai attacks, and places they could get away with it. Magic forest is safe for humans because it's my turf. Except they didn't say that, they said it was yours."
"Still not seeing the point here, Marisa."
Marisa's head finally lowered from the clouds, meeting Reimu's eyes. "I've always said it, haven't I. 'I'm Gensokyo's number 2!'. Not the number 1's +1. If Magic Forest is off limits, it's gotta be because of the the Mad Marisa, Black-White witch of the forest. Not because of the Red-White's Black-White sidekick."
"Ok... is that really such a big deal to you? Not just stealing the show like usual?"
"Reimu, you said to level, so I'll level. You have a history, a bloodline, fancy extermination tools, cool sleeves. It's obvious you're number 1 in Gensokyo. And me? I've got a bitchin' hat, a fistful of hakkero, and a normal human's worth of badass in a can. That's all. And I'm still good enough to be number 2. That's my schtick."
"... Still don't get why that led to a 'Marisa Musical Medley' performance in the middle of the Village."
"Shit, they got it all to alliterate? That's awesome."
...
"... Marisa."
"..."
"Marisa."
"..."
"MARISA! Focus. You can make posters later."
"NOOOOOOOO!"


Two minutes and a conspicuous pile of colorful burning papers later, the two were seated again.

"Ok, let's try again. Your musical number?"
"Well, that's step 1. I came here for step 2."
"Look, now you'd just being an ass- Marisa, what-?!"

Marisa whirled around, grabbing both of Reimu's hands tightly and cutting her off.

"Reimu, I came here to say something I think we both knew was coming. Hell, I'm sure everyone knew, and just didn't point it out to us. But I want to do this now, before we lose opportunities, before we have any regrets. I'm going with my gut here and saying what we both need."
"Marisa, if you don't let go of me right now I swear I'm gonna-"
"We've been through a lot together.  That time I scored you a date with Flan. The time I kicked your ass under that broken moon. The time I waved goodbye and good luck on the actual moon. That perfectly normal day when I woke you up and we both ran like hell for no particular reason that wasn't my fault. There's really only one way this could end, and it'll take both of us to get there."
"Marisa. Last. Chance. Let-"
"Yes, I will let it out! It'll be hard, I might slip up a few times, but I know in the end this is a new chapter for both of us."

Reimu was beginning to get uncomfortable, and it wasn't just because Marisa was invading her personal space.

"Ok Marisa, calm down for a second. This is just a joke, right?"
"Is this just a game to you? Well fine then, I'll play along, but know I'm no ordinary player! If this is gonna be a gods damn game, I'm sure as hell gonna score! Actually, we both will, but I will score harder and higher than you and come out on top!"

At this point, Reimu was red-faced and frozen in shock. Whether in rage or embarrassment was yet to be seen.

"So I'll just go and say it. No take-backs. No do-overs. 3 words, and we both figure out how to go from there. Are you ready?"
"..."
"... good enough then. Here goes..."

As Marisa took a deep breath, Reimu's brain finally restarted enough to notice it. That damnable quirk of the lips, a tell that Marisa was looking forward to something. Something that wouldn't be there if she were being serious.
Oh you've got to be shitting me

"Hakurei Reimu, I'm going solo"
...
*stare*
*stare*
*stare... click*
[HAKUREI SEALING TECHNIQUE: GRAND EXTERMINATION]!

-------------
As Reimu was occupied smacking the reporter (actually a tengu this time) with four glowing yin-yang orbs, Marisa bent down and quickly swapped out the film, pocketing the original roll. With that done, she winked at the unfortunate victim and mouthed get it later to her, putting the camera back down. A second later, a glowing orb impacted next to both camera and camerawoman, knocking both down the steps of the shrine and likely breaking something in the process.

Reimu then stomped over. "You. Explain, now, please"
Marisa smirked, leaning back against the shrine entrance. "What's got you all hot and bothered, Reimu? Was it something I said?"
"What the hell was all of that?!" Reimu yelled, pointing at the smirking witch. "You made it sound like you were going to do something stupid like ask me out right then."
"You want me to?” Marisa asked, tapping her pursed lips with a finger and looking up as if considering it. ”It'd be kinda awkward, since I did just go independent, you know."
Reimu lowered her arm. "Idiot." She walked back to the porch and sat down. "About that: care to explain?"
Marisa sat down as well. "It's simple. I'm gonna stop coming around so much. No more popping in, no more sleepovers, no more hanging out on your roof late at night when you're sleeping and serenading you with the koto, no more job stealing."
"Wait, back up a bit..."
"Kirisame Magic Shop is now officially separate from the Hakurei Shrine. As of today, you're not my sidekick anymore, Reimu."
"I can't help but feel like you just glossed over something important."
"You're my godsdamned rival, and I'm making sure everyone in Gensokyo knows it."
"..."
"..."
"... and that’s because-"
"Because those songs have hypnotic earworms that will keep them stuck in everyone's heads for a while."
"Figured it was something like that."
"So then." Marisa stood. "Here's saying goodbye to the Hakurei Shrine! Goodbye and good luck!" Downing her saucer, she set it on the porch and began marching towards the stairs, broom in hand.
Reimu watched her go, setting her own drink down. "Marisa..." She inhaled deeply. "Get back here and fix my damn doors!"
"NEVER!" Marisa quickly mounted her broom, tearing off straight upward-


No comments:

Post a Comment