Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Penmanship

What weapon holds the most potential?
To me, it is the pen
Though literacy may be essential
The effect is most telling then

With words one can easily slander
Twist truth and lies and ties together
With naught but strokes of ink and thought
Reality is changed forever

In print the flow of ideas is changed
Spun round and round as you will
Those who know not know all to know
Though they may not understand still

Though swords and guns can end your life
They cannot put end to your mind
For it will persist even if you cease to exist
When another reads your words in kind

But words are not weapons, in fact they are tools
Used for deeds both well and ill
They take up all spaces and reach many places
Until the “I”s all have their fill

Consider this page, and what it can do
What are you doing right now?
No matter who you are, no matter when it’s read
I’m sure I can guess somehow

You’re reading these words, some portion of me
You’re letting them through all defenses
You take what I give, so effortlessly
And let it change your pretenses

Consider the power I have in each line
Look what I can do with these words
“Now think of sweet candy! Now think of a lime!”
“Now think of all these things absurd!”

Though might may be right, it is thoughts that pull strings
To control the actions you take
I say pen over sword in all manner of things

With limitless things you can make

No comments:

Post a Comment